By Emma Buckley,Martin Dinter
- The first ebook of its sort to regard this period, which has won in attractiveness in contemporary years
- Makes a lot vital examine to be had in English for the 1st time
- Features a stability of recent learn with demonstrated serious lines
- Offers an strange breadth and diversity of fabric, together with tremendous remedies of politics, management, the imperial court docket, paintings, archaeology, literature and reception studies
- Includes a mixture of confirmed students and groundbreaking new voices
- Includes precise maps and illustrations
Read or Download A Companion to the Neronian Age (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Similar literary medieval criticism books
This observation takes severe account of modern writing at the Odes. It bargains with designated questions of interpretation, and exhibits how Horace mixed the tact of a court-poet with a humane individualism, and the way he wrote inside of a literary culture with no wasting a hugely own voice. although the booklet isn't meant for newcomers, the editors target all through at readability.
This booklet casts new mild at the paintings of the German poet Friedrich Hölderlin (1770 – 1843), and his translations of Greek tragedy. It exhibits Hölderlin’s poetry is exclusive inside Western literature (and artwork) because it retrieves the socio-politics of a Dionysiac space-time and language to problem the estrangement of people from nature and another.
This e-book offers an informative, severe and concise advent to the literature of the fourteenth and 15th centuries, contextualising the literature and introducing the pre-eminent authors of the period.
Biblical poetry, written among the fourth and 11th centuries, is an eclectic physique of literature that disseminated well known wisdom of the Bible throughout Europe. Composed commonly in Latin and thus in previous English, biblical versification has a lot to inform us in regards to the interpretations, style personal tastes, studying behavior, and pedagogical goals of medieval Christian readers.
Extra resources for A Companion to the Neronian Age (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to the Neronian Age (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Emma Buckley,Martin Dinter