By Bruce Mitchell,Fred C. Robinson
- Provides a accomplished creation to previous English
- Uses a pragmatic technique suited for the desires of the start student
- Features choices from the best works of previous English literature, geared up from easy to more difficult texts to maintain velocity with the reader
- Includes a dialogue of Anglo-Saxon literature, background, and tradition, and a bibliography directing readers to worthy guides at the subject
- Updated all through with new fabric together with the 1st 25 strains from Beowulf with specific annotation and a proof of Grimm’s and Verner’s laws
Read Online or Download A Guide to Old English PDF
Best literary medieval criticism books
This observation takes severe account of modern writing at the Odes. It offers with unique questions of interpretation, and indicates how Horace mixed the tact of a court-poet with a humane individualism, and the way he wrote inside of a literary culture with no wasting a hugely own voice. even though the publication isn't really meant for newbies, the editors goal all through at readability.
This booklet casts new gentle at the paintings of the German poet Friedrich Hölderlin (1770 – 1843), and his translations of Greek tragedy. It indicates Hölderlin’s poetry is exclusive inside Western literature (and paintings) because it retrieves the socio-politics of a Dionysiac space-time and language to problem the estrangement of people from nature and another.
This ebook presents an informative, serious and concise creation to the literature of the fourteenth and 15th centuries, contextualising the literature and introducing the pre-eminent authors of the period.
Biblical poetry, written among the fourth and 11th centuries, is an eclectic physique of literature that disseminated renowned wisdom of the Bible throughout Europe. Composed ordinarily in Latin and hence in outdated English, biblical versification has a lot to inform us concerning the interpretations, style personal tastes, interpreting conduct, and pedagogical goals of medieval Christian readers.
Extra resources for A Guide to Old English
A Guide to Old English by Bruce Mitchell,Fred C. Robinson