By Andrzej Gasiorek
A historical past of Modernist Literature offers a severe review of modernism in England among the overdue Nineties and the overdue Nineteen Thirties, concentrating on the writers, texts, and activities that have been in particular major within the improvement of modernism in the course of those years.
- A stimulating and coherent account of literary modernism in England which emphasizes the creative achievements of specific figures and gives certain readings of key works via the main major modernist authors whose paintings remodeled early twentieth-century English literary culture
- Provides in-depth dialogue of highbrow debates, the cloth stipulations of literary creation and dissemination, and the actual destinations within which writers lived and worked
- The first large-scale publication to supply a scientific evaluation of modernism because it constructed in England from the overdue Nineties via to the past due 1930s
Read Online or Download A History of Modernist Literature (Blackwell History of Literature) PDF
Similar literary modernism criticism books
First released in 1998. Routledge is an imprint of Taylor & Francis, an informa company.
The Phantom of the Ego is the 1st comparative research that exhibits how the modernist account of the subconscious anticipates modern discoveries in regards to the significance of mimesis within the formation of subjectivity. instead of starting with Sigmund Freud because the father of modernism, Nidesh Lawtoo starts off with Friedrich Nietzsche’s antimetaphysical diagnostic of the ego, his cognizance that mimetic reflexes—from sympathy to hypnosis, to contagion, to crowd behavior—move the soul, and his insistence that psychology informs philosophical mirrored image.
Irish writing within the modernist period is usually considered as a mostly rural affair, attractive with the town in fleeting, frequently disparaging methods, with Joyce forged as a defiant exception. This booklet indicates how an city modernist culture, conscious of the actual political, social, and cultural stipulations of Dublin, emerged in eire at present.
Bringing jointly Canadian, American, and British students, this quantity explores the connection among modernism and glossy megastar tradition. In aid of the collection's overriding thesis that glossy big name and modernism are jointly making a choice on phenomena, the members tackle more than a few transatlantic canonical and noncanonical figures, from the anticipated (Virginia Woolf and F.
- The Modernist Novel and the Decline of Empire
- Gertrude Stein and Wallace Stevens: The Performance of Modern Consciousness (Studies in Major Literary Authors)
- Africa in Stereo: Modernism, Music, and Pan-African Solidarity
- Ezra Pound's Adams Cantos (Historicizing Modernism)
- Virtual Modernism: Writing and Technology in the Progressive Era
- In the Hollow of the Wave: Virginia Woolf and Modernist Uses of Nature
Additional resources for A History of Modernist Literature (Blackwell History of Literature)
A History of Modernist Literature (Blackwell History of Literature) by Andrzej Gasiorek