By Robert D. Fulk,Christopher M. Cain
- Introduces previous English texts and considers their relation to Anglo-Saxon culture.
- Responds to renewed emphasis on ancient and cultural contexts within the box of medieval studies.
- Treats nearly the total diversity of textual varieties preserved in previous English.
- Considers the creation, reception and makes use of of outdated English texts.
- Integrates the Anglo-Latin backgrounds an important to knowing outdated English literature.
- Offers very huge bibliographical guidance.
- Demonstrates that Anglo-Saxon stories is uniquely put to give a contribution to present literary debates.
Read or Download A History of Old English Literature (Blackwell History of Literature) PDF
Best literary medieval criticism books
This statement takes serious account of contemporary writing at the Odes. It bargains with targeted questions of interpretation, and exhibits how Horace mixed the tact of a court-poet with a humane individualism, and the way he wrote inside a literary culture with out wasting a hugely own voice. even though the ebook isn't really meant for newbies, the editors objective all through at readability.
This ebook casts new mild at the paintings of the German poet Friedrich Hölderlin (1770 – 1843), and his translations of Greek tragedy. It indicates Hölderlin’s poetry is exclusive inside of Western literature (and paintings) because it retrieves the socio-politics of a Dionysiac space-time and language to problem the estrangement of people from nature and another.
This booklet offers an informative, serious and concise creation to the literature of the fourteenth and 15th centuries, contextualising the literature and introducing the pre-eminent authors of the period.
Biblical poetry, written among the fourth and 11th centuries, is an eclectic physique of literature that disseminated renowned wisdom of the Bible throughout Europe. Composed typically in Latin and thus in outdated English, biblical versification has a lot to inform us concerning the interpretations, style personal tastes, studying behavior, and pedagogical goals of medieval Christian readers.
Additional resources for A History of Old English Literature (Blackwell History of Literature)
A History of Old English Literature (Blackwell History of Literature) by Robert D. Fulk,Christopher M. Cain