By Jonathan FLATLEY
Read Online or Download Affective Mapping: Melancholia and the Politics of Modernism PDF
Best literary modernism criticism books
First released in 1998. Routledge is an imprint of Taylor & Francis, an informa company.
The Phantom of the Ego is the 1st comparative research that exhibits how the modernist account of the subconscious anticipates modern discoveries in regards to the value of mimesis within the formation of subjectivity. instead of starting with Sigmund Freud because the father of modernism, Nidesh Lawtoo begins with Friedrich Nietzsche’s antimetaphysical diagnostic of the ego, his consciousness that mimetic reflexes—from sympathy to hypnosis, to contagion, to crowd behavior—move the soul, and his insistence that psychology informs philosophical mirrored image.
Irish writing within the modernist period is usually considered as a principally rural affair, attractive with town in fleeting, frequently disparaging methods, with Joyce solid as a defiant exception. This e-book exhibits how an city modernist culture, aware of the actual political, social, and cultural stipulations of Dublin, emerged in eire at present.
Bringing jointly Canadian, American, and British students, this quantity explores the connection among modernism and sleek big name tradition. In help of the collection's overriding thesis that smooth star and modernism are together deciding on phenomena, the individuals tackle a number transatlantic canonical and noncanonical figures, from the predicted (Virginia Woolf and F.
- The Dialect of Modernism: Race, Language, and Twentieth-Century Literature: Race, Language and Twentieth-century Literature (Race and American Culture)
- At the Mercy of Their Clothes: Modernism, the Middlebrow, and British Garment Culture (Modernist Latitudes)
- T. E. Hulme and the Ideological Politics of Early Modernism (Historicizing Modernism)
- Joyce's Web: The Social Unraveling of Modernism (Literary Modernism)
- Africa in Stereo: Modernism, Music, and Pan-African Solidarity
- Revues modernistes, revues engagées: (1900-1939) (Interférences) (French Edition)
Extra resources for Affective Mapping: Melancholia and the Politics of Modernism
Affective Mapping: Melancholia and the Politics of Modernism by Jonathan FLATLEY