By Colleen Lamos
Read Online or Download Deviant Modernism: Sexual and Textual Errancy in T.S Eliot, James Joyce, and Marcel Proust PDF
Best literary modernism criticism books
First released in 1998. Routledge is an imprint of Taylor & Francis, an informa company.
The Phantom of the Ego is the 1st comparative examine that indicates how the modernist account of the subconscious anticipates modern discoveries in regards to the significance of mimesis within the formation of subjectivity. instead of starting with Sigmund Freud because the father of modernism, Nidesh Lawtoo begins with Friedrich Nietzsche’s antimetaphysical diagnostic of the ego, his cognizance that mimetic reflexes—from sympathy to hypnosis, to contagion, to crowd behavior—move the soul, and his insistence that psychology informs philosophical mirrored image.
Irish writing within the modernist period is usually considered as a mostly rural affair, attractive with town in fleeting, frequently disparaging methods, with Joyce forged as a defiant exception. This publication exhibits how an city modernist culture, conscious of the actual political, social, and cultural stipulations of Dublin, emerged in eire at the moment.
Bringing jointly Canadian, American, and British students, this quantity explores the connection among modernism and glossy star tradition. In help of the collection's overriding thesis that sleek star and modernism are together opting for phenomena, the members tackle a variety of transatlantic canonical and noncanonical figures, from the predicted (Virginia Woolf and F.
- The Life and Work of Thomas MacGreevy: A Critical Reappraisal (Historicizing Modernism)
- The Poetics of Transition: Emerson, Pragmatism, and American Literary Modernism (New Americanists)
- John McGahern and Modernism (Continuum Literary Studies)
- British Literature and Classical Music: Cultural Contexts 1870-1945 (Historicizing Modernism)
- Late Modernist Style in Samuel Beckett and Emmanuel Levinas (New Interpretations of Beckett in the 21st Century)
- The Difficulties of Modernism
Extra info for Deviant Modernism: Sexual and Textual Errancy in T.S Eliot, James Joyce, and Marcel Proust
Deviant Modernism: Sexual and Textual Errancy in T.S Eliot, James Joyce, and Marcel Proust by Colleen Lamos